Thursday, December 24, 2009

Trying to get eReader on Pocket PRO

Dear All:

Right now we do display non-DRM Fictionwise eReader eBooks on all three of our Astak models: EZ Reader Basic, Pocket PRO, Mentor Lite. We have been actively working with Fictionwise for about a year to get a Linux SDK (which our models need) and they say it is almost ready!

We are still trying to get a decent contract. Fictionwise was purchased by Barnes and Noble and they are one immense bureaucracy. Their idea of a simple contract is 40 pages of legaleeze.

Right now they want "exclusivity" (from how we interpret the contract). That would mean our devices can ONLY have their format and none other. We cannot do that and are asking them to strike that paragraph.

I realize ALL are weary of this entire negotiation. Just please be aware that we keep trying, and a breakthrough could happen quickly. We still want eReader. But we cannot do anything without the Linux SDK (so we can port it into the device) and a fair and decent contract.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear this. Fictionwise offers books at a great price. I also like their membership. Please don't sign a contract with with the term exclusivity in it. I'm always bragging about my PocketPro and how it can support more file formats that most of the other eBook readers out there. This helps set it apart from all the others. I would ditch my PocketPro and get something else if the only format used/allowed on it was that of Fictionwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was glad to read this, as I had been looking at the current sale at Fictionwise and planning to buy books for my new Pocket Pro. I had not yet because I am unable to authorize my EZreader with Adobe Digital Edition. As soon as I plug in the device, and a window pops up asking if I want to authorize it, ADE crashes. I have tried both Vista and XP, same result. This is a serious problem for me, limiting me to free books only. Maybe after the holidays someone where I have sent support requests will try to help me... Otherwise really like the EZreader, getting to know it a little better, and happy to always have something to read, where ever I am.

    ReplyDelete

I do want your comments. I cannot answer all of them, but I will read all of them. Please be gentle and friendly and keep this a nice and clean blog.